Changing seasons and falling temperatures can really impact how comfortably your baby sleeps. Although you want to stay indoors as much as possible with a newborn, even the nursery can get a little too chilly. You’ll want to make some adjustments to keep your baby sleeping comfortably.
Cozy up the nursery
For starters, check for drafts, and move the crib away from any windows. Experts recommend keeping your nursery between 68-72 degrees to keep your baby snug and warm. If your nursery is below or above this temperature range, adjust your baby’s sleepwear to cover the difference.
Check the TOG, not the tag
The TOG is the thickness rating of a material, indicating how warm it will keep your baby. (The higher the TOG, the warmer the sleepwear).
Here’s a quick guide:
- Light (0.5 TOG): Perfect for warmer temperatures or houses kept between 65-80 degrees at night, like the Zen Sack Premier. It’s also great for warm sleepers that need to be kept cooler at night.
- Standard (1.0-2.0 TOG): Sleepwear with this TOG can be worn year-round or paired with extra layers over or underneath, like the Zen Sack Classic. It is more padded than the 0.5 TOG, which is perfect for temps between 50-75 degrees.
- Winter (2.5+ TOG): Just right for the coldest months of the year. If your house in on the chilly side, or the temperature outside is below 50 degrees, keep your little one in clothing, like the Zen Sack Winter, with a TOG of 2.5 or higher.
Sweeter Sleep Story
“I was worried my 3 month old wouldn't sleep well as she transitioned from a swaddle to the Zen Sack Winter...but she has slept great! She sleeps through the night and this keeps her very warm! The material is very soft and comfortable! We are very happy and I will continue to use the Nested Bean sacks!"
- N. Modge., 3/19/2017
Always remember that while they’re under the age of 12 months old, your baby’s crib cannot have loose sheets or blankets. So, using a wearable blanket like our Zen Sack, with the right TOG for your baby, can provide extra comfort and warmth even during the colder months.
Think layers -- at home and on the go
Layering, whether indoors or out, is a great way to make sure your little one remains cozy all winter.
- Consider an underlayer: A good rule to follow is that babies under one year need one more layer of clothing than you do. Use a 1.0 TOG Zen Footie or Bodysuit underneath your baby’s normal clothing to keep your baby’s arms and feet cozy. Gently weighted to mimic a parent’s touch, the footie or bodysuit will help soothe your baby to sleep, no matter where you go.
- Bring along a few sleepwear options: Make sure you’re covered when you’re out and about, if your baby will be sleeping in the car seat or stroller.
Wrap up winter—in one place
Nested Bean bundles include all the perfect sleepwear with just the right TOG ratings—so your baby’s always covered, no matter what the temperature. Sweeter sleep in 1-3 nights, cozy slumbers all winter long.
Zen Sleepwear bundles: sweeter, cozier sleep...for a sweet deal